Monday, November 05, 2012

Old Town

Today was our first day of school. We took a placement test. Mine was, um, blank. Noelani did much better. I am really impressed with her Spanish, and her willingness to try to speak in Spanish all the time. Since he is not familiar with conjugating reflecive verbs, Gabriel circled the words he knew, which was quite a few. Gabriel is struggling with the immersion, and was frustrated this morning because the radio was in Spanish. It's hard!

As part of our orientation today, we visited "old town" in Quito, via el autobus (the bus), and it was crowded. The NY subway has nothing on this bus!

Here are a few pictures from the day. This blogger app does not let me order them, so it's a little confusing, but they are:
- G doing his math workbook, at the president's house, and many other places (turns out he is not that interested in presidents or churches)
- the president of Ecuador, greeting the crowd during the changing of the guard
- our little guard doing is phineas and ferb "I am a clever robot" routine
- one of the many vendors in the main square (G asked me to take this because of her feather)
- N and I being total tourists, with the guard who stands there for two hours, not moving
- a photo G took in the reception area of a church
- our spanish class
- G took this, he was fascinated by the palm trees...just like San Francisco (and the Spanish name for Quito is San Francisco!)
- the guards as they were changing

4 comments:

Abbie Sorge said...

Gabriel, it looks like you are having fun! Today is the first day back at school since e hurricane. I'll miss you on the bus. Joe says "hope you have fun!"

Abbie Sorge said...

Gabriel, it looks like you are having fun! Today is the first day back at school since e hurricane. I'll miss you on the bus. Joe says "hope you have fun!"

little g's moms said...

Hi Spencer (and Joe), Gabriel is asleep now, but I will show him your message tomorrow. I'm glad school is open again. What is happening with Halloween? Did you trick or treat. Love, Gabriel's mom (Mary)

Lanibug said...

To spencer.I hope you had a good time in the bus.
POPPING PIGEONS BOPPING BALLS LOVE''S FROM GABRIEL.SCOTTON@WWW.COM