Sunday, November 11, 2012

Cotopaxi is no joke...

Just to add to Mary's post about Cotopaxi. Despite feeling a little headachy and dizzy, I was determined to make it to the refugio. It looked close, but the sandy terrain (from the crumbly lava) and the altitude made it much much farther. I almost gave up twice, but with the mutual support of a class mate we made it - 5 steps at a time. If I went longer than 10 steps my lungs would start to burn and my heart would be going like crazy. There is a saying here "valer la pena" - it's worth the pain. And it so was, as you can see. The weather was great on the way up, the view amazing. I was loving watching the clouds come in,  and then they started dropping hail, and it started to thunder - very dramatic. We couldn't see a thing on the way down this crazy road, but the driver somehow managed to get us home safely. A great adventure!










No comments: